Academic consultancy in the University of Oxford
Oxford University Innovation (OUI) Ltd. is the University’s technology transfer company and a wholly owned subsidiary of the University of Oxford. Researchers from across the University who wish to provide academic consultancy or services are supported by the OUI Consulting Services team, who also assist external clients to identify and engage with relevant staff in the University of Oxford.
The objective of OUI is to make the process of academic consulting easy so that academics and clients can work together in the knowledge that all interests are protected and legal obligations met. Academics, researchers and staff are permitted to undertake up to 30 day’s consultancy, and DPhils up to 10 days, in each academic year.
OUI manages all the contractual and administrative aspects of consultancy, minimising the administrative burden. It supports departments to undertake consulting and technical services work. All Oxford consultants who working through OUI are covered by its comprehensive insurance.
Working with a wide range of clients including public sector bodies, NGOs, charities, and companies ranging from locally based SMEs through to large multinational businesses, the OUI team will work with you in the following way:
- help you to identify and develop consultancy opportunities through tendering support and by managing client relationships
- advise on and negotiate fee rates
- negotiate the terms of the agreement to protect your interests and those of the University
- assist you with internal approval forms/procedures
- coordinate logistical aspects of the project (where appropriate)
- invoice the external party, chase and disburse funds
- provide cover under the University’s professional indemnity and liability insurance policies (only available through our consulting services)
Some examples of academic consultancy are:
- patent evaluation and technical due diligence
- patent process optimization
- expert reports on technical or commercial challenges
- scientific or clinical advisory boards
- expert witness advice
- horizon scanning to aid strategic planning
- master classes on the current state-of-the-art
If this is of interest to you please contact either of Susan Clark – Senior Project Manager on 01865 280825, firstname.lastname@example.org or Gurinder Punn – Senior Project Manager on 01865 280826, email@example.com.